www.thepalio.eu - dal Belgio con amore
|Colors||Yellow and green with a blue band|
|Terzo||Terzo di Camollìa|
|Headquarters||Via del Comune 44|
|Museum||Via del Comune 44|
|Clubhouse||L’Alba, via del Comune 44|
|Oratory||Santissimo Nome di Gesù|
|Paitron saint||Visitazione di Maria Vergine (2 juli)|
|Enemie(s)||Giraffa (dal 1945 al 1996)|
|Allied contrade||Chiocciola (dal 1905 al 2002)|
Istrice (dal 1665)
Leocorno (dal 1937 al 1995)
Lupa (fino al 1963)
Torre (dal 1912)
|Victories||37 officially recognized|
The Bando di Violante di Baviera from 1730 determined the division of the city of Siena into 17 Contrade. People referred to buildings and their owners instead of the streets (as they do now). The document is still seen today as the basis on which the actual boundaries of the districts were determined.
Today, the following streets are part of the area’s territory:
- piazza dell’Abbadia (part, including chiesa di San Donato ai Montanini)
- piazza San Francesco (side street until chiesa della Compagnia di San Gherardo)
- via Dei Rossi
- via Vallerozzi (part)
- Banchi di Sopra (between via dei Rossi and piazza Salimbeni)
- piazza Salimbeni (part)
- via del Comune
- via di Mezzo
- via degli Orti
- vicolo degli Orbachi
- piazza d’Ovile
- via dell’Abbadia (part)
The district has received the title of Nobile for the deployment of its military company against Carlo IV di Boemie in 1369. In addition, it was the Brucaioli (who at that time were seen as troublemakers against rich
masters and exploiters) who in 1371 led by Francesco di Angelo, better known as Barbicone, set in motion a popular uprising against the regime in the city. They wanted peace and bread. As a thank you for what he meant for the city and for the neighborhood, he is still the protector of the neighborhood.
Important locations and Festa Titolare
The Oratory of Bruco is the Santissimo Nome di Gesù, located in via del Comune, just next to the headquarters. There are three different stories about the history and construction of the church. It is quite clear that the church was built by the residents of the neighborhood, with self-supplied and found stones. There are various hypotheses about the time of construction. What is certain is that this is one of the smallest neighborhood churches.
The baptismal fountain is actually a source (Source of San Franscesco) that was opened in 1513 under the Via dei Rossi. In 1978 it was restored and officially renamed the baptismal fountain of the Bruco district. We now recognize a bronze statue of Barbicone and the water flows through the mouth of a caterpillar.
The Festa Titolare in honor of the Visitazione di Maria Vergine is celebrated on July 2. However, the Festa Titolare always takes place the first Sunday after the Palio of 2 July.
Bruco and the Palio
Bruco has 37 wins. The last one dates from August 16, 2008 when Gingillo won with Elisir Logudoro.
Bruco won a Cappotto in 1842 when Figlio di Bonino won twice with morello del Riccucci.
Bruco had little luck in the 20th century. After the very successful 19th century with no less than 16 victories, they could only celebrate 5x in the 20th century. However, the century began ‘normally’ with 3 victories out of 22 years. To win roughly 7 years is considered normal in Siena. After that, however, it went downhill. First they had to wait 33 years, until 1955, for a new victory. Then Bruco proved that things can be worse. Only 41 years later, Bruco won again, in 1996. Since 2000, it has already won 3 times and is back on track.
Bruco was the first neighborhood to choose a foreign jockey. It happened on July 2, 1927: Bruco was assigned a mediocre to poor horse. The captain decided to give Pere Golon, a young Libyan, a chance. The young market squatter was nicknamed Ali. Ali used to ride a horse without a saddle, but it soon became apparent that the Palio was something else. After the first prova, he was taken to the hospital. Ali’s adventure seemed over. But he could count on so much sympathy from the contradaioli. They asked and received refusal not to drive the others so that Ali could recover. He was instructed to prevent Nicchio from winning. He even wanted to go so far as to use a knife during the race. Fortunately it did not come to that. His course was one to forget very quickly, but he did write history.
A district without rivals
Like many others, Giraffa and Bruco were rivals due to disputes around the neighborhood’s borders. Everything was settled in 1996 after the victory of Bruco after 41 years of waiting …
Despite the fact that the cessation of enmity was even made official, there is still hatred towards the other, especially with older contradaioli. In addition, Bruco has no official report or contact with Oca. So after a victory they never visit each other as tradition dictates. However, there is no rivalry.
Drappelloni and Numeri Unici
Drappellone and Numeri Unici can be found on pages on our Dutch website (pages will open in new tab) :
- Since July 2, 1775, 483 fantini debuted on the Piazza
- In 1928, no less than 9 fantini debuted (in 3 courses).
- 21 fantini won their debut.
- Bruco had 31 fantini debut since 1775
- None of them won on their debut
- The longest period without a debutant is 19 years : 16/8/1815-17/8/1834
|6||Fratello di Botto||16/8/1809|
Below you will find events that have never happened before and that cause some kind of superstition in the contradaioli. MAI or never is of course a relative term. The further we go back in time, the less data is stored and the more uncertain we become.
Bruco has never :
- won when they rode together with Chiocciola and Drago, Drago and Leocorno, Drago and Lupa, Giraffa and Valdimontone, Istrice and Valdimontone, Leocorno and Valdimontone, Lupa and Selva
- won in July when Valdimontone also rode
- won when they were selected as 2nd, 3th, 4th or 9th (estrazione)
- won from position 2, 5 or 8 at the start
- won when they were at the start next to Drago, Istrice, Leocorno, Lupa, Oca, Pantera, Torre or Valdimontone
- een palio gewonnen wanneer ze uitgeloot werden samen met Aquila, Chiocciola, Civetta, Giraffa, Istrice, Nicchio, Oca, Pantera, Selva of Tartuca
- won a palio when they were drawn together with Drago, Leocorno of Valdimontone
- won a palio in august when estracted together with Torre
- won a palio with cavalli scossi
- won a palio with Chiocciola of Leocorno as rincorsa
Last update : 18 november 2019